Sunday, August 19, 2007

Obstruction Pass State Park




When we visited Orcas Island in the San Juan Islands, we stayed at Obstruction Pass State Park. It was a really nice place for camping on Orcas Island! The parking lot is 0.6 miles from the camp ground at a really nice pebble beach. The 10 camp sites are first come, first served. I was a little worried because we arrived just before dusk on a Saturday night in summer. I was surprised there were no other cars in the parking lot, and that made me more hopeful there would be an open campsite. I ran down the trail with our tent to have a look and we were lucky. I set up the tent and ran back to the car to get Keiko and our gear.

The cost was only 14$ - a great price for staying overnight on the island. There is a pay station in the camp with envelopes and a drop box for payment.

The beach is made up of really nice pebbles. This picture shows a bunch in my hand.

Click on the other pictures to see the campsite, which includes a metal fire pit and picnic table. I've also included a couple of the information pages from the trailhead board.














No comments: